With each update, I have been mentally preparing or unpreparing myself for our next passage, which we have been hoping would be to Madeira. It will be our longest trip yet--3 to 4 days at sea, so you can understand why my brain gets in a bit of twist over this. To be honest, I've really enjoyed being in Cascais and have even begun to feel a part of a community on pontoon K. If I had time, I would tell you a bit about our life here, but that will have to wait for my next post as it looks like we're going, NOW! TODAY!
In a nutshell, yesterday morning, after Patrice went through his usual weather review, looking at all the sites he subscribes to, he got a big grin on his face and said, I'm calling the router because I think our weather window has just opened up."
"B...b...but yesterday you said that it we'd probably be here another week!" I sputtered.
"Yeah, but it looks like things changed during the night," he answered and after a short conversation with Michel, our weather router, it was confirmed: We were given the green light to go Sunday. So for the past 24 hours the two of us have been scurrying around doing everything that needs to be done before undertaking such a journey and now we're off. Prayers would be much appreciated for "fair winds and a following sea" and no seasickness this time.
For fair winds and a following sea
The smell of salt in the air,
The feel of their skin as it's touched by the spray
An albatross soaring above,
Dolphins in the ship's wake at play
To witness a work of art that only God can create,
The sunset at the end of day
At night a million stars in the sky,
Safe anchorage in an islands lee.
And always there would be,
Fair winds and a following sea